[ome-users] bfconvert of .r3d file

Alexandre Cunha cunha at caltech.edu
Tue Mar 8 19:13:39 GMT 2016

Hi Melissa,

The output of md5sum is the same for both systems. The tiff validation is nothing special. I did a visual check of a few slices and they are totally off, the .r3d is a FISH image with a few bright spots on a dark background, all float values, and the generated tiff is a saturated bright all over for some slices and a mix of saturated and dark pixels for others. I also checked a few pixel values using "gmic -o -.asc". Though the tiffinfo reporst 32-bit floats on the Redhat system, the actual values seem to be integers at 16-bit quantization, it doesn't make sense. Some unsolicited conversion is being done.

I tried different versions of java, installed an up-to-date libtiff, but the problem persists on the Redhat system - not on Ubuntu. I didn't build bfconvert from source but used bftools.zip to deploy it in both systems. I can't tell for sure if there is something wrong with the Redhat cluster - it is, after all, a possibility - but this is the only application I am aware is behaving oddly.

Let me know if you would like me to send directly to you the .r3d I am using for tests and a few generated tiff slices.

Best,
- Alex