[ome-users] excessive time to upgrade database

Mark Carroll m.t.b.carroll at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 10:30:05 GMT 2016

On 03/07/2016 10:17 AM, Mark Carroll wrote:
> Dear Carnë,
>
>> I have been upgrading our omero installations this weekend and found
>> that the step to upgrade the database takes an excessive amount of
>> time.  It took more than 9 hours and caused a temporary >3x increase on
>> the database size (from 30GB to 100GB but at the end it was down to
>> 64GB).
(snip)

A further thought here: While it is a big table, it is also true that
many distributions' PostgreSQL installations come with fairly slow
configuration settings by default. On a decent server it can be worth
increasing various memory settings and suchlike in postgresql.conf. If
your DB admin hasn't already much tuned your installation then it might
be worth seeing what other PostgreSQL experts tend to adjust in case the
same brings benefits for your system. Though I would certainly hesitate
to make specific suggestions, I've seen some significant performance
improvements arising from this approach, so it could be worth cautiously
investigating.

Cheers,

Mark