[ome-users] OMERO 5.2 upgrade

Aleksandra Tarkowska (Staff) A.Tarkowska at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jan 5 10:50:06 GMT 2016

Dear All,

Our email in November http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2015-November/003519.html saying that Django 1.6 is unsupported but still safe to use is now outdated. The Django team have updated their documentation, so it has now become clear that Django 1.6 has reached the end of its life and contains known security vulnerabilities, for more details refer to https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/releases/security/.

OMERO.web will continue to run with Django 1.6 but we are unable to patch any security vulnerabilities. This leaves you with few options:

For Python 2.7
- you should simply upgrade Django to 1.8 (LTS)

For Python 2.6 (mainly on CentOS 6)
- Install Python 2.7 https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.2/sysadmins/unix/server-centos6.html
- Upgrade to CentOS 7 https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.2/sysadmins/unix/server-centos7.html

Regards,