[ome-users] HDF5? Or something like it?

Jake Carroll jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
Wed Dec 21 12:28:51 GMT 2016

Hi,

Having just read the blog post here:

http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/future-plans/community/2016/12/21/omero-5-3/

Things are looking really wonderful and I look forward to deploying 5.3 into production.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Given the data model is changing, what becomes of the existing structures, infrastructure, underlying semantics of the way 5.2.x platforms work? Is there a smart conversion mechanism or table mapper of some description when we go from A to B?
2. Key to OMERO’s acceptance (for us at least) when dealing with really (really) big data is throughput, performance of ingest and ability to then download those very large objects again at very high speed. Can you talk to any of the efforts made in this regard or progress? I’d love to liberate the data and see the full potential of my hardware platforms utilised by OMERO. Currently due to certain eccentricities in ICE/Grid, it kind of feels like a giant funnel (a very functional and well designed funnel, I might add (!)– but a funnel, none the less).
3. What of formats such as HDF5? From a computational model representation and programmatic manipulation perspective - it seems to be something persistently on everybody’s minds. Might we see progress down this path? If not – I am sure there is probably a good reason which I don’t understand. Would love to understand more about it…

Thank you and keep up the amazing work. We really appreciate it and are looking forward very much to what is coming.

-jc