[ome-users] NFS backing store?

Jake Carroll jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
Wed Nov 4 03:11:15 GMT 2015

Hi.

We’re currently using an XFS formatted backing store provided by a CepH pool for our OMERO database. It works very well!

We’re being asked to consider NFS as a mechanism for the transport instead.

My experience early on back in OMERO 3.x days (and even early 4.x days) was that NFS was a very poor choice. It seemed to leave a lot of stale file hands active, Postgres regularly ran into issues and on the whole performance was not ideal.

Has anything changed? Further – why was it always so problematic? Was it a function/semantic of the way the DB did locking workloads against its files? Trying to isolate why it never worked so well so that we might fix it…

Also – how are things looking from an object backend? Any further developments on SWIFT or S3?

Thanks all!

-jc