[ome-users] OMERO at big sites - delegated administration + an interesting object-storage idea.

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 19 16:09:31 BST 2015

Hi,

> > You know what would be really cool? If we could create an
> > object-store provider backend for OMERO to tape into object storage
> > APIs. I really *really* like the idea of being able to natively
> > target OpenStack SWIFT buckets, Amazon S3 buckets and native
> > Ceph-RADOS-gw stores. Thinking out loud, there is huge potential to
> > scale omero in the cloud further, massive potential for data reuse
> > and even further extensibility benefits we can derive from scaling
> > out like this.
>
> Agreed, but again this is equivalent to the "substantially more work"
> from above.

Lots of work, definitely. But fundamentally feasible. At the Paris meeting,
Douglas Russell and I developed a rough prototype of a Bio-Formats I/O
handler for Amazon S3 [1]. I know Douglas is working on performance issues
(caching / read-ahead and maybe eventually memory-mapped I/O) as his time
allows.

Of course, that is only the first step. But since OMERO5 internally uses
Bio-Formats to read planes, it opens a lot of possibilities!

Regards,
Curtis

[1] https://github.com/dpwrussell/bfs3