[ome-users] Having trouble opening .nd2 file in Bio-formats cppwrap

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 14 03:20:41 BST 2015

Hi Melissa and Joe,

> > loci.formats.UnknownFormatException: Unknown file format:
> > /common1/phsiao/build/vst/sample_vid/samplet01xy1.nd2 at
> > loci.formats.ImageReader.getReader(ImageReader.java:190) at
> > loci.formats.ImageReader.setId(ImageReader.java:832)
>
> This is currently expected; at the moment, the cppwrap builds only
> contain BSD-licensed readers.

IIRC, it is not necessary to produce C++ proxies for every single
Bio-Formats class, because typical API usage on the C++ side does not
involve directly accessing those individual reader classes. All that is
necessary is that in the C++ client code, the classpath of the created JVM
includes formats-gpl.jar.

E.g. on Windows, something like:

list.push_back(jace::ClassPath("jace-runtime.jar;bioformats_package.jar"));

Or the individual list of JARs, if you are using those rather than the
uber-jar.

Joe: Are you in fact using Bio-Formats from C++ via the C++ bindings? Or
does this problem happen to you in pure Java?

Regards,
Curtis