[ome-users] Python support for OME Tiff files

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Oct 27 11:01:55 GMT 2014

Hi Tjelvar,

> Does anyone know if there is a "Java free" Python library for working
> with OME Tiff files?

OME-TIFF is just XML inside a TIFF file [1]. So you could use Pillow [2]
and ElementTree [3].

Longer term, an OME-XML library for Python would probably be handy.
Fortunately, the current approach is to autogenerate the OME-XML library
classes from the XML schema via a Python script [4]. The autogenerator
currently supports Java and C++; I'm guessing that adding Python too would
be feasible.

Regards,
Curtis

[1]