[ome-users] convert .lif file with bfconvert

Mark Hiner hinerm at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:18:03 BST 2014

Hi Michael,

> "./SCIFIOTestDriver itkSCIFIOImageIOTest/path/to/output_series_0.ome.tiff
/path/to/scifio-test.ome.tiff"

Just a reminder, since you're writing ome.tiff you should have a "-w" flag
at the end of this command. It sounds like you were using -w, just wanted
to clarify for anyone else reading this thread.

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

 There are two problems here. First, it seems that in SCIFIOImageIO the use
of Bio-Formats is overly aggressive in pulling in all the series, thus the
OutOfMemoryError. If you physically isolate a single series (e.g. delete or
move to another directory series 1-19) the application will run, but we get
another exception (at least on my end):

./SCIFIOTestDriver itkSCIFIOImageIOTest output_series_0.ome.tiff
scifio-test.ome.tiff -w
reader->GetUseStreaming(): 1
done checking streaming usage
ITK test driver caught an ITK exception:

itk::ExceptionObject (0x7ff8838b6ae8)
Location: "unknown"
File:
/Users/mhiner/loci/ITK/build/Modules/Remote/SCIFIO/src/itkSCIFIOImageIO.cxx
Line: 180
exited abnormally. Creating new reader for output_series_0.ome.tiff
(loci.common.services.ServiceFactory).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for
more info.
Exception in thread "main" loci.formats.FormatException: Unmatched UUID:
urn:uuid:b72fe97b-02c9-4029-a876-ca2bae46cbac
    at loci.formats.in.OMETiffReader.initFile(OMETiffReader.java:456)
    at loci.formats.FormatReader.setId(FormatReader.java:1244)
    at loci.formats.ImageReader.setId(ImageReader.java:727)
    at loci.formats.ReaderWrapper.setId(ReaderWrapper.java:529)
    at loci.formats.ChannelFiller.setId(ChannelFiller.java:263)
    at
loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.createReader(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:617)
    at
loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.readImageInfo(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:268)
    at
loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.executeCommand(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:133)
    at
loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.executeCommand(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:108)
    at loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.waitForInput(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:83)
    at
loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.executeCommand(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:163)
    at loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.main(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:688)

I also get this exception when importing with Bio-Formats into Fiji.

As a side note, there are flags for itkSCIFIOImageIOTest that, in theory,
should help the out of memory side:

"-s <n1, n2>" should limit the series read.
"-v <n>" should divide the data into divisions, which might mitigate the
risk of OutOfMemoryErrors.

But neither of these will help the UUID exception. Also, I still got
OutOfMemoryErrors with these, so it was still trying to initialize using
all the series. So I created a new issue
<https://github.com/scifio/scifio-imageio/issues/16> in the SCIFIO-ImageIO
tracker.

Anyway, try importing the bfconvert output into Fiji with Bio-Formats and
let me know if you *don't* get the UUID exception. If you do, then I think
the bfconvert output is just invalid..

Regards,
Mark