[ome-users] OMERO in the Cloud-- Step 1

Jason Swedlow j.r.swedlow at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 21:00:52 GMT 2014

Hi All

Today, CliQr, a commercial cloud resource  provider, announced an "open source app store", where you can access 100 different open source applications, on a cloud-based resource.  Interestingly, OMERO is available on this resource as well.

You can find out more at

http://www.cliqr.com/app-store/

We've had very limited testing of this resource but some thoughts or comments:

1.  This project is independent of OME, and we and Glencoe Software aren't involved with CliQr in any way.  We did provide some support for their developer getting OMERO installed,  but we have no commercial or other agreement in place.

2. The system gets an OMERO server up and running in about 10 min. OMERO.server and the web server are both available.

3.  Only version is 4.4.10 is available.

4.  The free account gets you 30 GB for storage.  This is probably only useful for people wanting to test OMERO.

5. CliQr also have the OMERO.insight client available.  My own sense is that this is less useful, but we'll see.

6. There isn't a way to add your own functions or scripts to this server, but that should be an easy problem for CliQr to fix.

7.  Currently, if you upload data to OMERO in a CliQr cloud with OMERO.insight, it is viewable and accessible, as normal.  If you shut down the server using CliQr's interface, and then re-start the same server, at the moment, it doesn't come back correctly. We've alerted CliQr's devs to this and we hope they will fix this soon.

In any case, please do give this a try, and think about how this type of resource might be useful for you and us.  If you have opinions on how OME should use this resource, do let us know.

As always, thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Jason

Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression | Open Microscopy Environment | University of Dundee