[ome-users] Java webstart security warnings

Simon Li s.p.li at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Feb 27 16:34:39 GMT 2014

Hi all

Java recently released an update (1.7.0_51) which changed the default security settings. As a consequence some users have found that the OMERO webstart Insight client refuses to start (note the standard Insight client is unaffected). The underlying cause is that the webstart client isn't code-signed. We had hoped to get this fixed in time for the 5.0.0 release but unfortunately there were delays in obtaining a code-signing certificate. This should be resolved in the near future and if all goes to plan we'll be able to provide a server update very soon.

In the meantime there are a few workarounds:
* Add a Java security exception on the client
* Download the Insight client from:
       http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/omero/4.4.10/
       http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.0.0/

If you need any additional help please post on either our forums or on this list. There is an existing forum thread which may be useful:
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7410

Simon