[ome-users] pyramidal file systems

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Feb 25 00:39:31 GMT 2014

Hi Glen,

> >We are considering purchase of an Olympus VS120 slide scanner.    Does LOCI or OMERO fully support any of the pyramidal image formats for compression and scaling?  LOCI opens the .vsi files as full size images.

*snip*
> Olympus CellSens VSI images are supported, but we don't currently
> support subresolutions for this format.  I'm not sure whether or not
> this particular format does contain pyramids.  OMERO will certainly
> generate pyramids for the images on import as it did for 4.4.

.vsi datasets in general do contain pyramids, but Roger is correct that
they are not currently read by Bio-Formats.  We are in the process of
correcting that, and expect the 5.0.1 version of Bio-Formats/OMERO to
fully support this (unfortunately, it is a bit too late to make it in
for 5.0.0).

Regards,
-Melissa