[ome-users] Network drive slowness

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Dec 12 15:47:14 GMT 2014

Hi all,

as a fairly general summary of this thread:

 * There will always be hidden costs for Bio-Formats and OMERO to work from
a mounted disk[1] and as datasets grow in size, we'll probably have to come
up with more comprehensive solutions to issues like these, but that won't
be possible for 5.1.0

 * Nevertheless, there is obviously still huge room for improvement. A
large part of the underlying problem is that we don't and probably can't
regularly test with realistically sized datasets of each file format over
various mounting options. This is certainly where you can help! If anyone
has similar issues perhaps with other file formats, let us know the details.

 * In the meantime, we'll start working on the formats and components where
we know there are issues and keep you posted. If anyone is interested in
getting their hands dirty, likely the most helpful information would be
Java hprof[2] output or similar from an example run of what you consider
slow.

A lovely weekend to one and all,
~Josh

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_distributed_computing