[ome-users] Network drive slowness

r b rblistmicro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:05:21 GMT 2014

Hi all,

I recently got our lab workstation connected through the 1Gbps network
to the building's server. Among other reasons, I was hoping to process
images directly from the network drive. However, even with the upgrade
to 1Gbps, loading images in Fiji is still slow. I have encountered two
problems and I am not sure they are related.

First, as an example, I have a .czi of ~210MB that opens:
- ZEN Blue Lite 2012 loading from network drive: about 2 seconds
- Copying from network drive and pasting to the Desktop: about 4 seconds
- Fiji loading from network drive: 30 seconds

In the ImageJ list I was informed that taking longer to load czi files
might be a widespread issue with czi files.

The second problem was found while testing the speeds above. If I put
the same file one folder deeper and try to open it in Fiji, the time
grows from 30 seconds to 12 minutes.

I am one of those people who organizes things by creating folder,
inside folder, inside folder.
In the following structure:
O:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4\Folder5\Folder6\Folder7
If I have the czi file in Folder6, it takes 30 seconds to open. If I
move it to Folder7, it takes 12 minutes to open.

Is there an obvious reason for this increase in time?

Thank you

Rafael Buono

PS:
Some info about my system below:
Java information:
  os.arch => amd64
  os.name => Windows 7
  os.version => 6.1
  java.version => 1.6.0_24
  java.vendor => Sun Microsystems Inc.
  java.runtime.name => Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
  java.runtime.version => 1.6.0_24-b07
  java.vm.name => Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
  java.vm.version => 19.1-b02
  java.vm.vendor => Sun Microsystems Inc.
  java.vm.info => mixed mode
  java.awt.graphicsenv => sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
  java.specification.name => Java Platform API Specification
  java.specification.version => 1.6
  sun.cpu.endian => little
  sun.desktop => windows
  file.separator => \

The up-to-date check says: UP_TO_DATE

Information relevant to JAVA_HOME related problems:

  JAVA_HOME is set to:
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\Desktop\Fiji.app/java/win64/jdk1.6.0_24//jre
  imagej.dir => C:\Users\ADMINI~1\Desktop\Fiji.app

Information about the version of each plugin:

Activated update sites:
ImageJ: http://update.imagej.net/ (last check:20141126151327)
Fiji: http://fiji.sc/update/ (last check:20141125101145)
MOSAIC ToolSuite:
http://mosaic.mpi-cbg.de/Downloads/update/Fiji/MosaicToolsuite/ (last
check:20141105181755)

Bio-Formats information:
Release 5.0.6, revision 33b1150, built 10 November 2014.