[ome-users] Sharing data with specific users

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Nov 19 11:40:19 GMT 2013

On Nov 18, 2013, at 6:44 PM, Paulo Almeida wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Paulo,

> ... There is a service unit that acquires images and needs to
> share them with the research group that asked for that acquisition. Is
> it possible to share images and datasets with specific users and groups?
> Are there other solutions to this problem?

It sounds like you're looking for the "import-as" functionality [4033].
See the "Import for Another User" section at the bottom of:

  http://help.openmicroscopy.org/importing-data-4.html

> One thing that occurred to me was to grant administrator status to the
> head of the service unit, which would allow that person to acquire
> images and set its owner to the correct researcher. I don't like the
> idea of having one or more superusers for this purpose though.

That's certainly a current limitation to import-as. One of the next steps
will be to make a group-owner capable of importing for others [10640].

> Both solutions have the additional disadvantage of granting the unit
> heads permission to see every image (either because they are superusers
> or because they are in all groups), which may not be desirable.

I'm not sure if we have that possibility ticketed yet, so I added [11725].
Thanks for the suggestion!

> Best regards,
> Paulo Almeida
> Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência