[ome-users] The OMERO cpp libraries

Roger Leigh r.leigh at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 21:49:43 GMT 2013

On 15/02/2013 10:45, Josh Moore wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Philippe Mailly wrote:
>
>> Hi Jesse and Josh,
>
> Hi Philippe,
>
>> I had tried all suggested options without success.
>> export CPPPATH=/usr/include/Ice
>> same error about Ice.h
>>
>> if I unset CXX
>> I got more errors
>> A lot of something like :
>>
>> Compiling src/omero/model/DetailsI.os
>> sh: 1: o: not found
>> and at this end :
>>
>> Install file: "libomero_client.so" as "target/lib/libomero_client.so"
>> scons: *** [target/lib/libomero_client.so] libomero_client.so: No such file or directory
>
> Can you try setting the following:
>
>   export CPPPATH=/usr/include
>   export CXX=g++
>   export VERBOSE=1

The problem here is most likely using the default system compiler, which
chokes on the broken Ice headers.  This is what causes the Ice/Ice.h not
found error (the diagnostic here is poor--the header does exist, but the
test for it fails because the header is not valid C++, and newer GCC
versions have stricter C++ syntax checking).  If you look with the
verbose logging, you'll probably see that g++ errors out.

If you install g++-4.4 and try building with
   CXX=g++-4.4
you might have a little more success.  Not ideal, but Ice is broken and
that's currently the only option.

Regards,
Roger

--
Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,