[ome-users] bfconvert multi-series LSM file

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Sep 17 14:28:36 BST 2012

Hi Niko,

> sorry for the delay. Actually I checked again and in fact you're
> right - the sliders are there when opening the file in FiJi. I
> probably got this wrong because my initial reason for converting
> them was to use the OME-TIFF as input for the XuvTools stitcher -
> which currently doesn't read my LSM files properly, but those being
> converted via FiJi to OME-TIFF work fine.
>
> So I opened the file resulting from the bfconvert with XuvTools and
> just saw one tile - whereas the OME-TIFF exported from FiJi
> correctly showed with the many different tiles. Yes, I'm aware this
> is an issue of XuvTools (unfortunately we don't have the time to fix
> it right now), but still this means the file generated by bfconvert
> differs somehow from the one exported by FiJi even though they look
> the same when you open them in FiJi. Don't get me wrong, that's not
> a complaint, just an observation that I thought is worth sharing :)

Yes, there is a difference.  When you convert the files through Fiji,
you are concatenating all of the tiles into a single stack.  This means
that what is stored in the OME-TIFF file is treated as a single tile -
effectively, you have lost a dimension.

When you convert using bfconvert, the individual tiles are preserved as
separate stacks/series, which means that XuvTools needs to be able to detect
that there are multiple series and deal with them appropriately.  I thought
that it could already do this, but maybe not.

Regards,
-Melissa