[ome-users] LOCI plugins with ND2

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 12 19:04:24 BST 2012

Hi Michael,

> Bio-Formats... simply does not work with the ND2 files.

Sorry to hear you are frustrated. We do our best to keep Bio-Formats
working, including a rigorous testing process for every release that covers
a huge collection of user-provided sample data. That said, Nikon has
repeatedly changed the ND2 format. It is a game of catch-up to keep things
working with new files, while also avoiding breakage of old files.

> The fix works for a few releases and then gets broken.

Note that you can download old versions of Bio-Formats from the web site:
    http://loci.wisc.edu/software/bio-formats/archive

> p.s.  And what is even more frustrating is that the release from Oct 18,
> 2011 that used to work fine with the Nikon format now crashes.

Did you test with an older ND2 file that you know worked before, or with a
new file? If it was a newer file, this suggests that it is a different in
the ND2 file rather than a mysterious change in Bio-Formats's behavior. If
it was an older file, the breakage could be due to any of several other
factors that changed in the meantime, such as your OS's version of Java
(did you test on the same machine?).

As always, we would be happy to investigate the issue, if you can send a
test file along with details on what went wrong, error message, etc.

Thanks,
Curtis

P.S. In the future, please report problems to the ome-users mailing list
rather than writing private mails.