[ome-users] Issues with NewUserGroupBean implementation

Harri Jäälinoja harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi
Wed Mar 28 12:05:54 BST 2012

Hi Josh,
> Was this already after the user was created? Could you try after renaming the user or with a fresh database? Alternatively, it might suffice to mark the user "active" in webadmin when logged in as root?

I had already renamed user hajaalin to hajaalin1.

> What source code are you working from? Would you be up for applying a patch or using my branch for building your server? See
>
>    https://github.com/joshmoore/openmicroscopy/tree/dev_4_3
>
> So that we can eliminate any secondary issues which may be distracting us.

I got the source code like this:
git clone https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy

Then I've built the hyldap component and scp:ed hyldap.jar (renamed as
extensions.jar) to the machine where I have OMERO 4.3.3 running. There
might very well be some issue caused by the different versions. The NPE
is from line 106:
ome.security.auth.LdapPasswordProvider.checkPassword(LdapPasswordProvider.java:106)

And this is that line in the branch that I have:
final String dn1 = (id == null) ? null : getOmeroDN(id);

To me it doesn't look right, even if something goes wrong in getOmeroDN,
it should not say the problem is at line 106?

I asked the IT department for a new virtual machine (identical to the
one where we will eventually host OMERO), so that I can set up a
development version there. The installation with OMERO 4.3.3 I would
prefer to keep as it is, there the idea is to practice upgrading and so
on, and also do general testing.

Getting the new VM might take a while, so in the meantime I can try to
set up OMERO on my own workstation. I started yesterday, but didn't get
all the prerequisites right yet.

> P.S. a heads up: I'll be away starting next week, in case getting this working is time-sensitive.

Ok, no problem, there is no rush. Our aim is now at the end of August,
so LDAP and other technical questions should be solved by that time. I
think we are already making good progress with LDAP, because a big step
was to jump to the level of Java and OMERO extension development. Now
that I've started to get the hang of it, it's just a matter time to
tackle this.

Once we've made the initial implementation work, the next point to
consider is if it possible to make this easier to maintain. Because as
it is, the OMERO admin should be able modify and build the Java project.
Maybe it is possible to make the NewUserGroupBean configurable via a
properties file or something?

Cheers,
Harri

Harri Jäälinoja
Light Microscopy Unit
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki
http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/lmu/
+358 9 191 59370 fax +358 9 191 59366