[ome-users] loading images from matlab rounds doubles to integers

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jul 28 11:18:39 BST 2011

Hi Alex,

  The OMERO rendering engine does not support floating point (32 bit)
data.
We have a ticket for that: http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/1303

However, this is merely a rendered "view" of the data. It shouldn't
mean that OMERO has rounded off the stored pixel values.
How are you downloading the image?
Whatever method it is, probably doesn't support 32 bit data either.
Let us know if you need 32 bit support for whatever method you're
using (or are you only doing it to 'check' the data)?

If you access the pixel values through the API, you should see that
they've been stored correctly.

If the viewing of the data in Insight is the most important for you,
and you don't care too much about the absolute pixel values,
one possible work-around is to simply multiply the pixel values a bit,
so that the overall range is larger.
Then you won't notice the rounding of the data by the rendering engine.
This is only a temporary idea - until we support 32 bit data in the
rendering engine.

    Will.

On 28 Jul 2011, at 10:29, Alexander Tournier wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm loading images back to OMERO from matlab as doubles,
> however OMERO seems to round the values to integer upon upload.
> I've written a short matlab script to show the problem, see attached.
>
> when you run it an image appears in OMERO.insight, however it's
> quite obvious that the pixel info has been rounded off, although it
> is marked as doubles.
> This is confirmed when one downloads the image.
>
> Any ideas?
> Best,
> Alex
>

> NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
> This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-
> named person(s). If you are not the intended recipient, notify the
> sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not
> disclose or use for any purpose.
> We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
> legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and
> attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your
> responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.
> Cancer Research UK
> Registered in England and Wales
> Company Registered Number: 4325234.
> Registered Charity Number: 1089464 and Scotland SC041666
> Registered Office Address: Angel Building, 407 St John Street,
> London EC1V
> 4AD.<bugtest.m>_______________________________________________

William Moore
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street