[ome-users] Large OMERO Implementation questions

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 19:38:21 GMT 2011

Hi Chris-

I'll let some of the devs answer the details of hardware etc.    Some,
but not all  of these questions are answered at http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/faq
.

Details of our own production systems are at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/wiki/OmeroIsBeta

Others can chime in with their experience.

Cheers,

Jason

On 16 Feb 2011, at 19:42, Wood, Christopher wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> We are considering  implementing OMERO as a standard for storing
> microscopy images at our institute. A typical year would see about 3
> TB of image data, and consist of ~300 users in more than 20
> different labs. Our I.T. department is concerned about the amount of
> disk space that will be needed to store and backup all of the data,
> in addition to providing fast access to the most requested data. We
> won't have 300 heavy users of the system; more likely (guessing) 50
> heavy users with different data sets being imported, exported, and
> viewed at the same time.
>
> So the questions I have are:
>

> 1.  What Hardware specs: How much RAM, number of CPUs, given the
> number of users and amount of data?
> 2.  Is any one else using OMERO on this large of a scale? If so, can
> any tips be provided?
> 3.  Is Linux the best server OS for this? Apache the best web server?
> 4.  How can we improve the response times for OMERO (tune the
> performance)?
> 5.  Would it be recommended to run the database separate hardware
> from the OMERO server?
> 6.  Are the other ways to separate the processes to improve
> performance?
> 7.  We currently have a tiered system that keeps the files most
> often accessed on fast storage, but keeps less accessed items on
> slower disks.  Will this type of a setup be possible with OMERO, as
> long as we can mount the data directories to omero server?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street