[ome-users] Upgraded but LDAP users can't pull their groups

Woodbridge, Mark R m.woodbridge at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 18:06:05 BST 2011

Hi,

Yes, Josh is quite right, recent versions of OMERO.insight can be distributed using Web Start. It makes users don't have to install the clients manually, and makes updates much easier. There is a problem with OMERO.importer and Web Start since 4.3 which I haven't had time to investigate because we don't distribute it to our users any more.

It's possible to produce a Web Start compatible tarball from the standard client distribution. Basically you need to do the following:

Unpack the distribution (I used the Linux one)
Put your server in the config/container.xml hostName setting
Jar the config folder
Un-jar and Re-jar the hibernate jar (for some reason the distributed version can't be signed)
Sign all the jars
Create jnlp files and add an icon for each
Copy the resultant files to a webserver

We actually distribute the jnlp files as jsps (i.e. the codebase attribute isn't hardcoded). We've also added a jnlp for activation.jar which is necessary for Java 5.

The result of doing this is the following folder:

http://cisbic.bioinformatics.ic.ac.uk/static/omero/omero-4.3.1-unsigned.tar.bz2

To use this you need to modify the config/container.xml file, sign all the jars using jarsigner, and put all the files in a servlet container. It won't work without signing. In theory you could remove the jsp stuff and serve the jars from your existing OMERO.web server.

It would be great if this could be built into the OMERO build process and distributed alongside the standalone versions.

Mark.