[ome-users] OMERO.insight in debian (problems in connection net.ipv6.bindv6only) (bug??)

Carnë Draug carandraug+sysadmin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 17:01:29 GMT 2010

Hi

I had a problem using OMERO.insight on Debian Squeeze but finally
tracked it down. Every time I attempted to log in, I received the
error "Failed to log onto OMERO. Please check your user name and/or
password or try again later.". An Ubuntu instance running on the same
machine in a virtual machine managed to connect with no problems.

The problem is the new defaults for the kernel which can be set at
/etc/sysctl.conf . The paremeter net.ipv6.bindv6only used to be false
by default but less than a year ago this was changed (please see
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-devel@lists.debian.org/msg277726.html
for reasoning). It seems to have broken some clients (see bug
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560056 ). There's two
possible fixes.

One is to change the value of "net.ipv6.bindv6only" by adding the line
"net.ipv6.bindv6only=0" to /etc/sysctl.conf and then running "sysctl
-p". To revert the value back to the default (1), you'll need to
change the value of the line, commenting it won't be enough.

Alternatively, OMERO.editor can be started with an extra argument. The
following command can be used instead of the current one

java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xms128000000 -Xmx256000000 -jar
omero.insight.jar

I'm not a great programmer and I know even less of Java and networking
but by looking at the reasoning behind choosing that default, it seems
that OMERO.insight should be able to cope with it, and even work
better with it.

Carnë