[ome-users] OMERO client install attempt under Mac OS X 10.6 - would appreciate some help on the client login popup

Taylor, Ronald C ronald.taylor at pnl.gov
Mon Jun 7 22:25:51 BST 2010

Ken, Jeremy, other OMERO users,

I think I am very close to getting (finally) OMERO running on at least one machine. I have been following Ken's Mac 10.6 install manual, except instead of creating a separate omero account I have been doing the install in my pre-existing "RT" account.

This is being done on my own personal Mac, just upgraded to 10.6. (Waiting on a OS 10.6 upgrade to a larger Mac server in our lab.)

I have apparently installed everything for the OMERO server correctly this time. I do an

  omero admin start
And
  omero admin diagnostics

And the diagnostics appear OK, from what I can gather.

However, I cannot bring up the client successfully. I have not yet installed the OMERO web server - from what I understand, that is not required to get a client connection on the same machine, and the server-client combination is the thing I want to test as fast as possible. Do I have that correct - I can use the client before installing the web server?

Presuming I could manage without the web server for my test, I went ahead and installed the OMERO client zip file OMERO.clients-Beta4.1.1.mac.zip, which matches the server release.

I then double-clicked on the OMERO.insight icon in the client directory. Got the popup. This is where my current problem is.

When I earlier installed the server and ran
   bin/omero db script

I gave the server the root password of "omero". Also, the omero Postgres account was named "omero" and has the password "omero". All this is being done in my Mac OS account of "RT".

My problem now is I can't get past the popup. I enter "omero" for the Username and "omero" for the Password. Is that the correct thing to do? Does my OS account of "RT" come into play here in any way?

Also - the client popup window says that I need to "Add a new server". Don't know what this means. When I click on that option I get an empty text box, followed by something for a port that defaults to "4063". Have no idea how to fill this out.

As I write this, my MacBook is not connected to the net - personal machines are not allowed on the lab intranet. So - it does not any IP address to put in. I tried entering "localhost", but that did not work.

What server is this entry panel referring to - the server started by "omero admin start"? Does that come up by default on port 4063? Or does this refer the OMERO web server, which I have not set up yet? Do I need to set up the web server before getting the client app to work?

I checked they OMERO clients User Guide. Sadly, cannot find anything useful on how to fill out the initial log in screen! In sect 2.2 it says

"When you start OMERO.importer, you will be asked to log in (See Figure 2.2-1). The
administrator who set up OMERO can provide you with a user account and the address of
the OMERO.server where your images will be stored.
You provide the address of the OMERO server by selecting the button and entering the
details in the form provided."

Well - duh. Unforunately, I'm the admin and I don't know how to provide myself with the correct account name and server address to use.

Would very much appreciate some help - hopefully OMERO users (who have logged in!) can answer these questions in just a couple sentences.

  - Ron

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
902 Battelle Boulevard
P.O. Box 999, Mail Stop J4-33
Richland, WA  99352 USA