[ome-users] [Spim-lsfm-info] Ome-tiff and light sheet fluorescence microscopy

Guenter Giese Guenter.Giese at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de
Sun Jun 6 14:16:11 BST 2010

Hi Guillaume,
hi Jason and Andrew,

this is a major issue for us too.

My home-built light sheet microscope generates a lot of data, and the microscope configuration as well as the imaging parameters are quite complex, and changed frequently. And a proper storage and retrieval of our metadata is obviously quite important.

I talked about this with Jason Swedlow and Andrew Patterson at the ELMI  Meeting 2009 in Glasgow. They were very interested. Unfortunately, we had not enough time until now to check thoroughly and to decide which parameters are represented by or lacking in the OME schemas. And, since the details of our metadata are not fully settled yet (they may never be!), we did not ask for implementation in the OME schema until now.

In the meantime, we decided to export the metadata into an XML logfile (trying to foresee possible future implementations in the OME schemas, and actually spend a lot of time on this).

Currently a student is working on this (he may be back in the lab in a week). He tries to work around the problem by implementing "Structured Annotations". He is in contact with the OME team too.

We would also like to discuss this SPIM / OME issue with any other users interested.

Best,

Guenter

Dr. Guenter Giese
Light Microscopy Facility Manager
Dept. of Biomedical Optics
MPI fuer Medizinische Forschung
D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
phone  xx49 or 0 -6221-486-360  fax -325
e-mail: guenter.giese at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de