[ome-users] Mcpp install failure during OMERO install attempt under Mac OS X 10.6

Taylor, Ronald C ronald.taylor at pnl.gov
Thu Jun 3 01:58:00 BST 2010

Hello folks,

Haven't heard back yet on the two questions I sent last Tuesday to the list on my not-yet-completed OMERO install under Red Hat Linux. In the meantime, I thought I would try an entirely separate installation of OMERO on my Mac laptop, using Ken Arcieri's instructions on how to install under OS X 10.6.

Things were going smoothly - I installed Postgres, then many of the libraries. And then I got to mcpp (ver  2.7.2)  in the ThirdParty software download.

That mcpp install fails when I try to install according to the ThirdParty directory's  README.

I run configure like this:

 ./configure  CFLAGS=fno-common  --enable-mcpplib  --disable-shared  --prefix=/Library/mcpp/Versions/2.7.2

 and it appears to run OK.

But I then run "make" and get error msgs:

In file included from main.c:42:
Internal.H:561: error  expected declaration specifiers or '...' before numeric constant
  ...  followed by a couple more errors reported on line 561

Looking up mcpp at SourceForge, I found this note:
  "On Linux ... and Mac OS X the system's standard headers have certain defects, and some workarounds are necessary for mcpp. Refer to section 3.9.9. in the manual"

I checked the HTML manual. From what I gather, the problems relate to stddef.h and limits.h? And to a compiler independent build? Not sure if I have that right. In any event, the manual does not tell you how to fix the install. But the SourceForge site says that there is a Mac disk image file available for the mcpp install. Though if I want to make sure I can uninstall it, I have to use the associated "port" file to install it - which will mean installing MacPorts on my laptop. Which I'm willing to do, if the Mac  disk image version of mcpp will work for Ice and Omero. Will it?

Also: I found another web page at http://mcpp.darwinports.com that describes a Portfile for mcpp and says that there is a known set of patch files for mcpp 2.7.2. The page lists three:
   patch-src__internal.H
   patch-scr__system.H
   fix-core-dumps.patch

Since one of the patch files has the same name as where the error appeared in the "make" run, I presume that that patch and maybe the others are needed in order for the "make" to work OK. However, I haven't been able to find the patch files themselves. Does anybody know how I should best proceed (and where the patch files are)? (I did not have to deal with this in my Linux install - I ran an RPM to install mcpp  that our local sysadmin people had already downloaded into our AFS file system.) If the three patch files are available someplace, should I try patching with them, and then rerunning "make"? Or should I try the Mac disk image?

 Cheers,
   Ron

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
902 Battelle Boulevard
P.O. Box 999, Mail Stop J4-33
Richland, WA  99352 USA