[ome-users] var/registry/ corruption

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Fri Sep 4 16:30:38 BST 2009

Alex Sossick writes:
 > Hi Josh

Hi Alex,

 > Basically an ungraceful shutdown in this case was was caused by a faulty
 > harddisk in the server, basically freezing the server forcing a restart.
 > Restarting the server seems to cause the same issue quite often.

Ok. I could see how a power failure might cause the problem. Do you
still have the log files from the failed restart? If so, I'd like to
see if we can come up with a check for a corrupted registry. That
wouldn't be related to simultaneous restarts re:

  http://www.zeroc.com/forums/bug-reports/4237-sporadic-freeze-errors-concurrent-icegridnode-access.html#post18680

or is it possible that on system start bin/omero admin start could be
called multiple times?

 > Though I have been managing to reproduce this by just powering the
 > server down whilst its running. (effectively pulling the power on
 > it.)  This was all a bit brutal but started because the NAS server
 > there the omero data is on developed a problem and I had been
 > wanting to test what happened when the data was not available to
 > omero. Then one of the disks in the omero server raid failed.) So
 > far we have not lost any data which is really good and omero, once
 > restarted seems happy. (after deleting var/registry/)

 > I know we looked at the var/registry/ problem before, I am just adding a
 > script/cronjob and want to make sure there was no major issues deleting
 > var/registry/

None. Let us know if it works for you.

 > Thanks
 > Alex