[ome-users] Stage positions from Zeiss LSM 710, Olympus FluoView 1000, Leica SP/SP5

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sat Nov 14 08:39:30 GMT 2009

Hi Aaron-

Just adding one comment.  From our contacts with Carl Zeiss
MicroImaging we've been informally told that there were no changes in
the LSM 710's file formats that we needed to know about.  However,
these formats are very complex, and something might have slipped by.

As Will mentioned, the confocal list server might be a good place to
post this (this was the method we used some time ago).

OK, climbing on soapbox:

The current situation-- arbitrary file formats, with essentially any
metadata in any format, and no definitive community notification when
things change-- will only change when customers condition their
purchases on this information being provided.  In an ideal world (ok,
a total pipe dream), our OME-XML and Bio-Formats developers would be
notified BEFORE new formats were released and provided specifications
and samples.  We're a long way from that, but can get there, with the
community's help.  If this community insists that this information
will be provided, we won't be having these problems anymore.

Stepping down.  Phew!

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Jason

On 13 Nov 2009, at 17:28, Will Moore wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> The key question is whether the stage position metadata is actually
> stored in the file. If it is, then it should be possible for
> BioFormats to identify the correct bit of metadata and store it in
> the OME data model.
>
> We have been working at improving the amount of metadata from these
> confocal formats that is used to populate the OME model. This takes
> time to identify how to read the piece of metadata in the original
> file, and how to map it into the OME model. However, we have so far
> been successful for the various bits of metadata we've attempted so
> far.
>
> There are a couple of ways to determine whether the stage position
> metadata is actually in the file:
> Open the file in the proprietary software (Olympus, Zeiss, Lecia)
> and see if it is displayed.
> Or, open the file in ImageJ, using the BioFormats plugin and look at
> the "Original Metadata".
>
> I've tried these with a sample of the various formats you mentioned,
> and I don't see that any of them have absolute stage positions.
> (some examples below)
> I'm not even sure that BioFormats is reading the Leica stage
> positions properly. Haven't looked at this before.
>
> However, I don't have any LSM 710 files (LSM 510 only), and it's
> also possible that newer versions of these microscopes might save
> this data.
> Some of these files seem to have places in the files for this
> metadata, and it's also possible that the formats might expand to
> accommodate stage metadata.
>
> You could try asking on the confocal lists http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>
>   Sorry I couldn't be more help,
>
>   Will.
>

> Looking at the "original metadata" of a couple of oib files, read by
> Bioformats (using the ImageJ plugin). NB. This is all the
> "available" metadata currently read by BioFormats, only a subset of
> this is used to populate the OME data model.
> This is the data available for each plane of the image, shown for
> the first 2 planes of a Z stack.
>
> Image 0 : AS Level	9999
> Image 0 : AbsPositionUnitName	mm
> Image 0 : AbsPositionValue	0.0
> Image 0 : Adjust Outward	0
> Image 0 : Adjust Retrun	0
> Image 0 : AnalogPMTGain	1.0
> Image 0 : AnalogPMTOffset	2
> Image 0 : Confocal	ON
> Image 0 : CountingPMTGain	0.0
> Image 0 : CountingPMTOffset	1.600000
> Image 0 : CountingPMTVoltage	0
> Image 0 : DataMax	4095.0
> Image 0 : DataMin	0.0
> Image 0 : DataName	1h_after_pdt_C001Z001T001.tif
> Image 0 : DataType	WORD
> Image 0 : ExcitationOutPutLevel	5
> Image 0 : HeightConvertValue	0.207
> Image 0 : HeightUnit	um
> Image 0 : ImageDepth	2
> Image 0 : ImageGroup	Normal
> Image 0 : ImageHeight	1024
> Image 0 : ImageType	Intensity
> [...]

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street