[ome-users] Cannot Initialize the Django settings database (fwd)

Bernie Broughton b.broughton at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 15:00:48 BST 2009

Hi Chris,

--On 28 May 2009 17:34 +0100 Chris Allan <callan at blackcat.ca> wrote:

> Hi Bernie,
>
> Is it possible you have home directory permissions issues?
>
> sudo -u apache -s
> ls -al /home/omero/omero_dist/lib/python

typing: sudo -u apache -s (as root)

gives:
bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
bash-3.2$

subsequently, then typing: ls -al /home/omero/omero_dist/lib/python

gives:
ls: /home/omero/omero_dist/lib/python: Permission denied

> To avoid this problem:
>
> Run the "syncdb" as the "omero" user.
>
> chown -R omero /home/omero/weblog /home/omero/webdb
> python manage.py syncdb

I can do this, but syncdb seems to run silently for a few seconds and I get
the prompt back.

However, this is really just to close the thread. The server is running
virtualised on XEN on an Athlon workstation (along with 3 others!) and was
done this way  simply to see if we could establish a server and show it to
potential users here. It is of course a little slow and not a practical
proposition.

In the next couple of weeks I'll install Omero on a workstation and let you
know either way if I'm successful.

Bernie

Bernie Broughton
IT Manager