[ome-users] SSL configuration for Server and Client

Huw Lynes lynesh at cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 13:33:14 BST 2009

We now have a working Omero server for testing. Thanks for all the help
so far.

I've been trying to follow the security documentation to send the Ice
server information over an encrypted port.
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/server/security

The server side of the configuration seems to work. If I restart the
server the port changes from 4063 to 4064.

However I'm having trouble with the client configuration. I've
downloaded the beta4 client bundle and created an ssl.config file
containing the appropriate config lines.

The docs then say to run:

ICE_CONFIG=ssl.config python

which doesn't do anything other than to run up a copy of python. So how
do I get the client to pick up the new config?

Then there is OMERO.web which seems to look at localhost:4063. Is there
a way to get the Ice server to listen on tcp:4063 and ssl:4064 at the
same time? This would let OMERO.web use the unencrypted transport since
it is local to the machine while using the SSL channel for external
clients across the network.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Huw

--
Huw Lynes                       | Advanced Research Computing
HEC Sysadmin                    | Cardiff University
                                | Redwood Building,
Tel: +44 (0) 29208 70626        | King Edward VII Avenue, CF10 3NB