[ome-users] OMERO: experimenters & groups semantics

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 15:12:33 BST 2009

Hi Bram,

Forwarding to list..

On 16 Jul 2009, at 14:58, <b.gerritsen at nki.nl> wrote:

> Dear Will Moore,
>
> Why can't users who are in the same group not view each others images?

We are currently mid-way through development of full permissions
configuration in OMERO.

In Beta-3, we allowed users to access everything that belonged to all
members of their group ("group" level access was the default).
However, in order to allow users to configure permissions for their
images etc. we have to start with images being private. Things get
messy if you try to reduce permissions on objects.
So, in Beta-4 we made everything private by default, but we have not
yet implemented the functionality for configuring permissions.

Josh or Chris can probably give you more details about this...?

   Will.

> Example:
> User1 imports images under groupA. User2 who is also in groupA
> cannot view these images unless User2 is the OWNER of groupA. Any
> other users in groupA cannot view the images User1 has imported
> under groupA.
>
> Is the above intended omero behavior? If so, what is the advantage
> to users who are in the same group as opposed to users who are not?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Bram Gerritsen

William Moore
Division of Gene Regulation and Expression
College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee
Scotland
DD1 5PH