[ome-users] .mrc file import into omero

Brian Loranger brian.loranger at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jul 10 11:36:40 BST 2009

Hi Dan and Bjorn,

OMERO officially only supports about 30 of the Bio-formats file types
and the list of those formats can be found at: http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/ImporterFormats
  and is also mentioned in our FAQ at https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/faq
  .

The reason for this is primary one of testing - because of the diverse
range of metadata that can be included in the various file formats,
we're pretty cautious about including everything before we have a
chance to test it.

In the past OMERO has been pretty light-microscopy centric, but
happily EM data is one of the areas we're now looking at. Some model
changes probably need to be made to fully support EM metadata, and I
wouldn't expect us to see those formats officially supported till
we've gone ahead with those changes.

In the current release of the importer, there's no easy way for the
end use to go in and 'turn on' formats for testing, but I've already
submitted a change to the source code to allow you to do that in
upcoming releases (the required 'importer_readers.txt' file for
turning on file formats will be in the importer's config folder). In
the mean time, if you're interested in turning on formats, you'll need
to extract the importer jar, tweak the importer_readers.txt file, and
jar it up again.

I should mention that the process of testing these formats is just
that - experimental, and you should probably be familiar with a bit of
java code to get things going.

Cheers,

Brian