[ome-users] Building client for Beta 3.2 (better to wait for beta4?)

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Jan 14 13:55:27 GMT 2009

(forwarding to list)

Mario Valle writes:
 > > That's a tough question. I know you had gotten fairly far with
 > > Beta4. What made you switch back to Beta3 in the first place?
 >
 > Initially I used the trunk from SVN for my testing (so "almost"
 > beta4), but my client complained every time about some zero length
 > array. You (?) and the ZeroC forum say that this is due to a
 > mismatch between client and server Ice parts. So I switched back to
 > 3.2 SVN to be aligned with the omero server installation.

Gotcha. So it had to do with server version. Makes sense. You never
deployed the 4.x server from trunk?

 > BTW, as you suggested, running my client as: ./client
 >      --Ice.Config=../Beta3.2/dist/etc/ice.config works!!! It does
 >      not do anything useful, but at least connects and does not
 >      complains.
 >
 > So at least now I have something that could be used to learn how to
 > write a real client, as I wait for beta4.

Wonderful. Glad to hear it.

 > Thanks again!
 > 		mario

More than welcome,
~Josh

 > P.S Also, in the fragment of code you sent me some time ago, the
 > member getId() is not available in 3.2 . It is in ExperimenterI and
 > I'm experimenting with all possible cast without success. Do you have
 > the magic to access all the experimenter details, like email,
 > istitution, etc.?
 >
 > omero::model::ExperimenterPtr user =
 > omero::model::ExperimenterPtr::dynamicCast(im->second);
 >
 > if(user)
 > {
 >   cout << " id: " << user->getId();
 > }

To get access to the methods in 3.x it's necessary to cast to
ExperimenterIPtr:

  ExperimenterIPtr::dnyamicCast(im-<second);

Alternatively, you can access these fields directly:

   user->id

but this is generally not suggested and is the reason that direct
access disappears in 4.x.

~J