[ome-users] OMERO clients user's comments

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Jan 14 08:46:55 GMT 2009

Caterina Strambio De Castillia writes:
 > Dear OMERO developers,

Caterina,

a few questions if I (we) may to comments 1 & 2. Delete is one of our
perennial issues. We wrestle with it ourselves, over and over again. I
think even just your comments show how complicated it can be.

In the simplest case, the user should be able to delete things
him/herself as can an admin. *Unless* GLP/provenance restrictions
require it to stick around OR another user has linked to that data
making it somehow shared.

We have discussed the concept of the delete-basket, and having some
workflow to pass that off to the administrator with the request
"please delete" is an interesting idea.

When implementing delete as it currently stands, though, the biggest
hurdle for me was understanding the "classification of deletable
types". Based on configuration, there are things that only admins can
delete (users, for example), that only admins & users can delete
(projects, datasets and maybe images), and things that one user can
delete for another, say the owner of an image can force another user's
thumbnails & rendering settings to be deleted.

So, to finally get to my questions,

 * did you notice any other classes of things to be deleted while you
   were doing your review?

 * rather than configuration by types, would it suffice to have a few
   "profiles" -- GLP1, HIGHSECURITY, OPEN, etc. -- which apply at the
   db instance level?

 * would you ever need to remove a user but keep his/her data?

 * what other actions would you want to see when removing a user?
   "Give data to user X", "Transmit to server Y", etc.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback.
~Josh.