[ome-users] Importing legacy .mdb Zeiss databases

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 17 22:02:01 GMT 2009

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your emails. I am glad to know we will be able to use Bio-Formats
> to import our .mdb files at some point. Meanwhile, I was wondering if you
> have a standalone application that I can call to transform the .mdb files to
> OMERO in a batch mode. I suppose we don't need the full blown OMERO.importer
> to do that and we will probably be better off using batch processing anyway.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. In answer to your question, there is no
direct batch uploader for OMERO at the moment, though a command line batch
upload tool is currently in development.

Another option, available now, is the bfconvert command line tool available
from the Bio-Formats web site. You can use bfconvert to convert from Zeiss
LSM & MDB formats into the OME-TIFF format en masse, then queue up all the
OME-TIFF files for import into OMERO using the OMERO.importer GUI.

Lastly, I believe the Dundee team is actively developing a tool, OMERO.fs,
that will allow you to manage imports similar to an iTunes music library,
automatically scanning a directory structure and importing the data without
needing to queue it up with the importer tool. But there are still a lot of
work to be done there.

-Curtis