[ome-users] [ome-devel] Problem with metadata

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Oct 30 20:09:21 GMT 2008

Hi Sebastian,

As Jason said, there are several steps in the import process. OMERO.insight
is currently limited in which types of metadata it can show, but that
doesn't necessarily mean your metadata has been dropped. To troubleshoot a
problem with a specific piece of metadata from a particular file, the first
thing is to identify how far your favorite metadata field got along...

*The Bio-Formats/OMERO Metadata Import Process
*
A. Bio-Formats parses the file's metadata in its original structure.

B. Bio-Formats converts as much metadata as it can into the OME data model.

C. The OMERO.importer feeds the standardized OME metadata to the OMERO
database.

D. Once import is complete, client applications (e.g., OMERO.insight) can
query the metadata field from the database, display it to the user, and
otherwise make use of it.

The good news is: it is very easy to verify whether steps A and B are
happening correctly for your metadata of interest, using the Bio-Formats
plugins for ImageJ. Here is how you do it!

Let's take Bio-Rad PIC as an example, though this procedure will work for
any supported file format.

1. If you haven't already done so, download loci_tools.jar from the
Bio-Formats web site (http://www.loci.wisc.edu/ome/formats-download.html)
and drop it into your ImageJ plugins folder. Make sure you are using the
latest trunk build, as it contains the latest bug fixes as well as the
"Display OME-XML metadata" feature we will be using.

2. Start up ImageJ.

3. Choose Plugins > LOCI > Bio-Formats Importer from the menu.

4. Select the file you wish to test and click OK.

5. For "View stack with" choose "Metadata only." Uncheck all the options
except for "Display metadata in results window" and "Display OME-XML
metadata." Click OK and two windows should pop up fairly quickly.

6. To see whether step A is happening, take a look at the "Original
Metadata" window.

For illustration, suppose I am interested in the physical width of my image
in microns, and the magnification factor of the lens used to acquire the
data. Browsing through the list, I find a key labeled "AXIS_4 distance (X)
in microns" that looks pretty promising for the physical width, and another
couple of keys labeled "LENS_MAGNIFICATION" and "lens" equal to "10" which
matches the 10X lens used during the experiment. So we have determined that
Bio-Formats is successfully parsing the metadata I'm interested in.

One important note: please remember that the names of these keys will be
different for each file format.

7. Next we want to check whether step B is happening, so we look at the "OME
Metadata" window. Notice that the display is in an XML tree structure.

According to the OME data model, the physical width in microns is saved as
an attribute of Pixels beneath Image. Looking at my tree, I see that indeed,
the Pixels has a PhysicalSizeX attribute that has been populated.

Next is the lens magnification, which is saved as a property of the
instrument's objective. (There are actually two types of lens magnifications
that OME can represent: a "nominal" magnification, which is the listed
magnification factor of the lens, and a "calibrated" magnification, which is
the actual measured magnification, since it can deviate slightly from the
nominal factor. In our case, we are looking for the nominal magnification,
since the Bio-Rad software merely recorded that I have a 10X lens.) The
specific path we want is Instrument -> Objective -> NominalMagnification.
But looking at my tree, I see that there is no Instrument node at all, much
less an Objective with a NominalMagnification.

So we have verified that Bio-Formats successfully standardized the physical
image width, but we also found a limitation: Bio-Formats does not yet
standardize lens magnification factor for Bio-Rad PIC files!

At this point, you have sufficient information to complain to us ;-) about
exactly what you need added in order to meet your metadata requirements.
Though we are doing our best, it can be very tedious going through each
metadata field one by one, which is why we highly value reports from users
like you about specifically desired metadata fields. And it helps us to
prioritize which file formats and metadata fields to focus on first.

If you prefer the command line to GUIs, it is also possible to follow these
same steps using Bio-Formats from the console instead of ImageJ. To do so,
download the Bio-Formats command line tools from the web site, and use
"showinf -nopix -omexml myFile.pic" to see a dump of both the original
metadata key/value pairs, and the standardized OME-XML tree.

Another question you might have is: assuming my metadata field passes steps
A and B, how can I tell whether step C was successful?

Unfortunately I am not an OMERO expert so I don't know an easy way -- but if
you are a programmer you can take a look at the source code responsible for
it:

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/components/importer/src/ome/formats/OMEROMetadataStore.java

Doing a text search for "NominalMagnification" I can find a method called
"setObjectiveNominalMagnification" which sounds like it might do the right
thing, and the code does look like it's actually doing something. In
contrast, the method "setOTFOpticalAxisAveraged" has a debug statement that
says "TODO" and the "setExperimentDescription" method has a "TODO" comment,
so it is probably a safe bet that the OTF optical axis averaging and
experiment description fields are not currently getting past step C.

In conclusion, metadata standardization is a massive undertaking and we are
hugely appreciative of your feedback. I hope this guide has given you a
sense of how to isolate specific things you would like to see added or
improved to Bio-Formats and OMERO, so that we can provide you with a suite
of software tools that meets your needs.

Cheers,
Curtis