[ome-users] Bioformats works only outside OME (more data)

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Jan 15 19:56:13 GMT 2008

Hi Mario, Linda, and everyone,

I isolated the most serious problem to a change we made on December
11th (r3465). I have fixed several problems including that one, and
placed a working loci_tools.jar you can try here:

http://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/curtis/jar/loci_tools.jar

Just overwrite the one in /OME/java with that one, and hopefully
things will work better.

We will try to make another official release of the library soon, to
minimize the number of new OME installations that are affected by this
problem.

Please note what Ilya and I said earlier about rearranging the order
of importers, though -- if you don't, Bio-Formats will not be used for
certain formats including Deltavision, BMP, Molecular Dynamics GEL,
Metamorph STK, DICOM, TIFF & OME-TIFF, Bio-Rad PIC, and Zeiss LSM.

Also please note that there are undoubtably still some (hopefully more
minor) bugs -- in particular, the file stitching is not working
properly. This means you cannot yet import a single Image distributed
across multiple numbered files (e.g., data1.tiff, data2.tiff,
data3.tiff, etc.). This functionality used to work, so is probably
just a matter of me fixing more bugs in the Bio-Formats file stitching
code somewhere.

Linda, to revisit your earlier question about metadata: this updated
version of Bio-Formats should properly include all the original
key/value metadata pairs in the OME import. To see these values, after
importing the Image, click the Image thumbnail to bring up the Image
details screen. Among other things, you'll see a "Module executions"
box on the top right. The first link in that box should say "Image
import" -- click it, and you'll receive a detailed list of
information, including the key/value pairs in their original format
beneath a section labeled "OriginalMetadata." Please let me know if it
doesn't work for you.

Lastly, in the process of debugging, I regenerated several old
versions of loci_tools.jar. I placed them online, in case anyone else
wants them to do their own testing:

http://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/curtis/archive/

Please let me know if you continue to have trouble, or have any
additional questions.

-Curtis