[ome-users] omero integration

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:50:29 GMT 2008

Hi Johan,

* how much is really changing in the public side of the API, is it maybe
> better to wait until the next release before any serious attempt?

I do not know much about the scope of OMERO's API changes overall, but I can
comment on the OMEROMetadataStore.

In order to provide support for multiple versions of the OME data model (e.g.,
multiple revisions of the OME-XML schema), we largely overhauled the
Bio-Formats MetadataStore API. OMEROMetadataStore is OMERO's implementation
of that interface for pushing metadata into the OMERO DB using the
OMERO.importer client. So that's why you are seeing such a large discrepancy
between trunk and beta 2.3.

As you pointed out, some methods are still missing. We are still tying up
the last few loose ends, making sure all the needed methods are available
and working, etc. As for whether you should wait, I suppose that depends on
whether you plan on using the OMEROMetadataStore directly (i.e., for pushing
information into OMERO, like importer), or are concentrating more on
rendering and visualization (i.e., pulling information out of OMERO, like
insight).

-Curtis