[ome-users] Further questions about broken server

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Tue Feb 12 10:10:55 GMT 2008

On 12 Feb 2008, at 04:43, Glenn Murray wrote:

> Hi Sean,

Hi all.

> Well, I finally did give up on the jboss/ in omero-3.0-Beta2.3.dmg
> package
> and switched to omero-3.0-Beta2.3-1.tar.bz2, using the PostgreSQL
> from the
> .dmg setup.  It worked immediately.
>
> For the post-mortem, I think I was seduced by the .dmg package,
> thinking
> it would do everything---I wouldn't have had this trouble running on
> Linux.  I do believe that the final message pane on the .dmg
> installation
> is entirely misleading in suggesting that at that point one can start
> using the WebAdmin---it is still necessary to go through the steps
> in the
> UNIX install howto.  I also believe the jboss installation it puts
> into
> /usr/local is broken.

The intention of the .dmg install is to avoid any such messing around
in fact; it is designed to install PostgreSQL, JBoss, etc. on a clean
(or semi-clean at least) Mac OS X machine with a working OMERO.server
instance when that final dialog pops up. If you have odd user
settings, previously installed versions of PostgreSQL, etc. the .dmg
install will croak spectacularly, as you have just experienced.

What would be helpful is a copy of /var/log/install.log unless it has
been /dev/null'd by the OS already.

> I didn't have any problem with the clients, very nice.
>
> My thanks to you and Jason for your help.
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

Thanks for the feedback!

Ciao.