[ome-users] Further questions about broken server

Glenn Murray gmurray at mines.edu
Mon Feb 11 20:27:21 GMT 2008

It doesn't work for me.  Note that the NetInfo postgres user that the
installation script creates has shell set to /usr/bin/false, so it seems
pretty unlikely that I can su to a postgres shell:

omero3.0b2.3/$ sudo su
gmurray-10708s:/Users/gmurray/projects/omero3.0b2.3 root# su postgres
gmurray-10708s:/Users/gmurray/projects/omero3.0b2.3 root# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 1(daemon), 2(kmem), 3(sys),
4(tty), 29(certusers), 8(procview), 5(operator), 9(procmod), 80(admin),
20(staff)
gmurray-10708s:/Users/gmurray/projects/omero3.0b2.3 root# su - postgres
gmurray-10708s:/Users/gmurray/projects/omero3.0b2.3 root# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 1(daemon), 2(kmem), 3(sys),
4(tty), 29(certusers), 8(procview), 5(operator), 9(procmod), 80(admin),
20(staff)

To run initdb I had to delete the postgres user and group created by the
installation script, create the postgres user manually (in Accounts), and
reinstall.  Then:

omero3.0b2.3/$ sudo su - postgres
gmurray-10708s:~ postgres$ initdb -D /Library/PostgreSQL8/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres"...

So PG is working, but it has no databases.  When I restart JBoss I get

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: database "omero3" does not exist

What's next?

Thanks,
Glenn