[ome-users] how to store image analysis results

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Dec 10 13:15:22 GMT 2008

Hi Ari,

De Groot, Ari [PRDBE Extern] writes:
 > I have some questions related to storing image analysis results.
 >
 > --1--
 > In the database and model.xml I find items like CellArea, CellPosition etc.
 > but I can't find any use of them in the Java code.
 > I assumed results could be mapped to datasets...
 > How can I find out how these results can be used in Java code? Is there example code?
 > Are there client applications using these results? I don't see them in insight.

No, they aren't used. The types defined in:

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/components/model/resources/mappings/results.ome.xml

were an experiment, have never been put into production, and will
almost certainly be removed for the Beta4 release.

Could you let us know exactly what it is that you would like to do?

 > --2--
 > A related question is how to add new result types?
 > Let's say we would like to add a result type called NeuriteLength.
 > How is this accomplished?
 >
 > Would it be possible to have a more flexible way of handling result types or features?
 > Creating a new table for each result type is not my idea of flexibility.
 >
 > Am I missing something?

It sounds like what you need are attachments, also called structured
annotations. You might take a look at the wiki page:

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/StructuredAnnotations

with which it's possible to structure your own types as primitives
(floats, ints, etc), as a String (including XML), or as any binary
blob. The floats and ints won't scale very well, so depending on what
you are shooting for, a coarser-grained result type would be
advisable.

 > Kind regards
 > Ari de Groot

Let us know what we can do to help.