[ome-users] OMERO compression and duplicate storage

Ghislain Bonamy GBonamy at gnf.org
Fri Dec 5 18:10:54 GMT 2008

Dear all,

I was wondering if OMERO has already implement, is thinking or would
consider implementing a mechanism to store images into two different
format while keeping there metadata linked.

I am working in a center were we are generating several TB of data a
month and where keeping all of our images on disk becomes impossible. To
remedy to this, we have a >2 PT tape storage solution, which is however
very slow (takes about 2-4 Minutes to retrieve a file the first time
until it is de-cued) . My idea would be to store lossy images on disk
for people to view and modify metadata, while keeping the full blown
image onto our slow storage solution in case they needed to be
reanalyzed for instance. The metadata for this images would however be
kept identical between images.

Perhaps, a way to do this would be to store in Omero the file and keep
in the metadata a link to the original image. If there are another and
better solution please let me know.

In addition, does OMERO store the metadata in a compressed way (as well
as the images), or is there a way to have OMERO apply a script (for
instance a gzip compression) when importing images and when an image is
queried?

Thanks a bunch for all your help and answers,

Best,

Ghislain Bonamy, PhD

Research Investigator I

Genomic Institute of the

Novartis Research

Foundation

Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, room G214

10675 John Jay Hopkins Drive

San Diego CA 92121

USA

+1 (858) 812-1534 (W & F)

+1 (757) 941-4194 (H)

+1 (858) 354-7388 (M)

www.gnf.org

Hudson-Alpha Institute for Biotechnology

www.hudsonalpha.org