[ome-users] Problem with Spreadsheet Importer

Hicks, Bryson Bryson.Hicks at seattlechildrens.org
Wed Jul 18 18:27:46 BST 2007

Hello all,

My name is Bryson Hicks, and I work in the HUB Lab at the Seattle
Children's Hospital.  My lab is currently trying to get an OME database
up and running.  We have not started uploading all of our old images
yet--we are still trying to work out any little kinks, and make sure
that we know how to use the system well before we do this (we have about
5,000-10,000 images to upload, so it will be a big task).  One of the
main reasons why we chose OME was because it allows for custom
mass-annotation of images.

However, we've been having problems with the spreadsheet importer.  At
first, the only spreadsheets we imported were small (a few images, with
a few ST's/Category Groups) and worked fine.  Next, we tried importing
larger spreadsheets (4 images, 18 Category Groups, 3 STs), with which
we've had some very weird problems.  The ST's we've entered are
ImageInstrument.Instrument, ImageInstrument.Objective, and
ImageAnnotation.Content.

Every time I import the spreadsheet, only the first of the four images
recieves the ST annotation (the other three don't get tagged with an
instrument or objective; sometimes all four will recieve the textual
annotation).  Also, every time I try importing the spreadsheet, all of
the Category Groups and Categorys get switched.  For instance, two of
the CGs we have are: Fixative and Date_of_Experiment; when we import the
spreadsheet, the Categories get mixed up between the Category Groups.
The spreadsheet ends up making the category "07132007" under the CG
"Fixative," and it makes the category "Methyl_Carnoys" under
"Date_of_Experiment."  All of the Categories and Category Groups get
mixed up in this manner.

I've tried importing the spreadsheet with only the three STs (didn't
work), and I've tried importing the spreadsheet with only the CGs/Cs
(didn't work).  Also, I tried removing all of the 'weird' characters
from the spreadsheet (like spaces, backslashes, etc), and it still did
not work.  Also, I tried importing a different, smaller spreadsheet with
different CGs and for different images, and it still did not work.

Am I doing something wrong here?  I've attached a copy of the
spreadsheet I used, in excel format.  All of the data is made up--we
made the sheet as a test, to see if it would work.  I've also attached a
jpeg of the Spreadsheet Global Import.

Thank you very much,
--Bryson Hicks

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.