[ome-users] os x server

Arman Garakani arman at reifycorp.com
Wed Feb 7 21:51:50 GMT 2007

Thanks for your note. Please see comments below:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Ilya Goldberg wrote:

> Hello Arman
> I'm not sure I understand the error.  Did the installer die because
> it couldn't launch the Sharing Pane in the System Preferences?
> This wasn't a caught exception, so if there is no "System
> Preferences" application, or if has no sharing panel
> (com.apple.preferences.sharing), then it looks like it would just
> quit.  This part has been fixed, and will be updated shortly.

It continues to check for sharing panel. OS X Server does not have
personal web sharing as in OS X client. And there is no
com.apple.preferences.sharing.

> The installer would only attempt to do this if it could not detect
> that Apache was running.  The test is to check the response to the
> following command:
> /usr/bin/curl -s http://localhost/foo

Your test is fine. If instead of assuming http://localhost, you used
the output of /bin/hostname then I think you will be fine on os x
server. hostname returns http://localhost or machineName.local on OS
X client and on OS X Server the currently serving website. Your curl
test logic would remain the same.

> If there is no server at localhost, then the result is nothing.  If
> a server is running, then there will be an error (if there is no
> foo page), or whatever foo leads to.  If the result of this command
> is nothing, then it is assumed there is no server running on
> localhost.  The installer then goes on to open "System Preferences"
> and selects the "Sharing" panel.

I think os x server may be a better choice for an organization for a
lot of reasons. You can check if the os is client or server using a
simple test of checking to see if serveradmin exists -- but there may
be better ways.

> We don't use OS X server, and I have not had feedback from other
> users of OS X server.  We've had a lot of positive feedback from
> people who have installed this on OS X client.

I totally agree with the positive experience on os x client. It works
great. Let me know if you want me to test the os x server additions
when you add them.