[ome-users] Update Installation problems - Ubuntu

Matthias Pigerl matthias.pigerl at sco-lifescience.de
Wed Sep 20 10:31:45 BST 2006

Hi guys!

After some time I would like to give you a quick update of all my
installation problems with Ubuntu and OME.
(Kernel 2.6.12 - perl 5.8.7, mod_perl v 2.0.2 postgreSQL v.8.0.3 Apache2
- OME 2.4.0)

But still I'm not very happy - I'm going to try the OME development
versions from cvs or an other Linux distribution. Because with the
combination above there are too many problems.

OK Step by Step:
If s.o. wants to start with the instructions at
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/install/debian.html you had to activate
the unsecured and experimental repositories at the package manager
(e.g., apt or synaptic). Otherwise the libraries aren't available. There
was also an package (libapache2-mod-perl2-doc) my system couldn't
locate. But I think this package is not so important for OME. :-) So
forget about it.

Then I started install.pl and I run into problems problems problems. :-)

First of all there where some compiler problems and I played a little
bit. I cann't remember what I did .. checked some makefiles. - whatever
- at least the compiler part of install.pl worked .

Then - next problem the apache configuration failled. Ok - I could do it
manually. The main configuration file at Ubuntu is
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf ant NOT httpd.conf - Very strange I know. So I
put an Include pathToOME/conf/httpd.conf.ome at the bottom of
apache2.conf. Then I changed at all OME/conf/*.conf files the line
PerlInitHandler Apache::Reload to PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload and I
checked the rest of the pathes like PerlSetEnv Path and Alias - Now
Apache configuration was fine.

Next problem postgresql.  At Ubuntu the apache user is www-data and "-"
dosn't like postgresql (I read some discussions about this topic in the
mail archive. Maybe it's fixed in the development version.) But to fix
it is not so difficult. I changed the line
my $sql = "CREATE USER $username"; at file
installationPATH/src/perl2/OME/Database/PostgresDelegate.pm to
my $sql = "CREATE USER \"$username\"";    --- and the install.pl
finished the installation perfectly.

But this doesn't mean that I could login now. There was still a
configuration problem with postgresSQL. Install.pl runs under root - the
apache server not. So I had to change the "Connections and
authentification" settings of postgressql.conf.
After this finally I could login using the webinterface. But I'm still
not very happy. Image import dosn't work. An import process is started,
I get a PID. But then this process freezes. I waited more than 2 hours
of an import of one TIFF (same with jpeg and lsm)
At the end I had to kill the processes.
The Java Client also doesn't work. Error at apache.log "...can't locate
Apache2.pm in @INC(..."
What is @INC? Apache2.pm is available put not in the path searched by
@INC parameter.

That's all! Have a nice day wherever you are. Today I'll go to the
Oktoberfest in Munich - so the world is not so bad :-))

Cu Matthias