[ome-users] teething problems

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 12 18:06:07 BST 2006

Hi Steve,

I managed to track down what was causing the NoClassDefFoundErrors, at least
on our machine here. It was caused by ome-java.jar being present in
(/Library/Java/Extensions or /System/Library/Java/Extensions). Apparently
Java on the Mac does something really stupid: it looks first for libraries
in the Extensions folder, and prefers them to the explicitly set class path;
in addition, if library A has a partial dependency on library B, library B
is not in the Extensions folder, and an application tries to use the part of
library A that needs library B to function, things fail, even if library B
is included in the class path with the application.

To fix the problem, you can delete ome-java.jar from the Extensions folder.

In our case, we had ome-java.jar in the Extensions folder to use with the
Bio-Formats plugin for ImageJ. Do you by any chance have that set up as
well? If so, you probably don't want to delete ome-java.jar from Extensions
(since Bio-Formats will stop working if you do that). Instead, you can copy
xmlrpc-1.2-b1.jar, commons-httpclient-2.0-rc2.jar and
commons-logging.jarinto the Extensions folder as well, and everything
(both Bio-Formats and
Shoola) should then work. But beware, if a new version of Shoola is
released, and those JAR files have been updated, you'll need to recopy them
into Extensions to keep everything flowing smoothly.

If you do not have any of the Shoola-related JAR files in your Extensions
folders, then I am once again unsure of what is causing your problem.

I hope that clears things up, and sorry for the confusion.

-Curtis