[ome-users] Pre-requisite libraries in non-standard location

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Mar 7 16:29:07 GMT 2006

Usually, its much more efficient to install these libraries in the
standard locations so that the standard GNU toolchain would know
where to find them.  Non-vendor additions to unix OSes generally go
into /usr/local.  If you are using Linux or BSD, these are all
standard additions that are provided as packages by the OS vendor/
distribution (not true for OS X, though OS X "plays nicely" with /usr/
local, and has its own GUI OME-installer besides: http://
users.openmicroscopy.org.uk/~igg/OME-Installer.dmg).

Unfortunately, there is no convenient way of informing the installer
where all of these things are.  About the only option is to edit the
installer code, adding flags to the various configure commands (which
would have to be done for all the builds, as well as for all the
library checks).  Although I've never tried it, it might be possible
to set some environment variables to hint the GNU toolchain where it
might find things.

-Ilya