[ome-users] OME install on Ubuntu

august august at develop.ment.org
Tue Apr 4 20:15:57 BST 2006

Hey y'all,

I've installed OME now on a number of different machines, and every time
I do, I run into new problems.  I thought I'd jot down some notes here
about the latest install.  Maybe you have some suggestions about
possible fixes or problems.

suggestions, ideas?   thanks -august.

I'm using Ubuntu Breezy badger with default Apache2 and Postgres-7.4 and
gcc-4.0

   1. First, install all of the following packages.
          * sudo apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client
          * postgresql-dev postgresql-doc
          * sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-perl2
          * libapache2-mod-perl2-dev
          * sudo apt-get install openssl
          * sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
          * sudo apt-get install libpng2 libpng2-dev
          * sudo apt-get install libtiff4 libtiff4-dev
          * sudo apt-get install libgd2 libgd-gd2-perl libgd2-dev
          * sudo apt-get install libxslt1 libxslt1-dev
          * sudo apt-get install libbz2-1.0 libbz2-dev
          * sudo apt-get install zlib1g zlib1g-dev
          * sudo apt-get install libdb4.3 libdb4.3-dev
          * sudo apt-get install libdbi-perl libapache-sessionx-perl
          * liblog-agent-perl libdbd-pg-perl libterm-readkey-perl
          * libipc-run-perl libclass-accessor-perl libexporter-lite-perl
          * libuniversal-exports-perl liburi-perl libhtml-tagset-perl
          * libhtml-parser-perl libwww-perl
          * libclass-data-inheritable-perl libxml-namespacesupport-perl
          * libxml-sax-perl libxml-libxml-common-perl
          * libxml-libxslt-perl
          * sudo apt-get install libxml-dom-perl libxml-perl

   2. Then, if you are using gcc-4.0 comment out the next to last line
src/C/omeis/OMEIS_Error.h:
          * /* extern char OMEIS_ERROR_STR [OMEIS_ERROR_SIZE]; */

   3. in the creatUser function of src/perl2/OME/Postgres Delegate?.pm
change
          * my $sql = "CREATE USER $username"; to my $sql = "CREATE USER
          * \"$username\"";
          * if you do not do this, it will not allow you to create user
          * www-data

   4. need version 1.22 (or some other random version which is
compatible with OME) of DBD::Pg.  Default version of 1.47 WILL NOT work.
          * download from here:
          * http://www.filewatcher.com/m/DBD-Pg-1.22.tar.gz.80896.0.0.html
          * then uncompress and do make; make install as root
          * make sure to uninstall and previous versions of DBD:Pg
          * note: you may also try other version. I can verify that
          * DBD::Pg version 1.47 with Postgres-7.4 does NOT work

   5. do sudo ./install.pl
          * you can probably answer yes to most of the questions.
          * when it asks you for configure Apache, SAY NO!
          * no matter what you do, it will never configure apache
          * correctly. you must do this yourself. see below.

   6. now you need to set up the apache2 config
          * DO NOT USE the conf files from the OME install. They will
          * not work.
          * edit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf and add the following lines
          * to the bottom:
                o Include /OME/conf/httpd2.web.conf
                o Include /OME/conf/httpd2.omeis.conf
          * change /OME/conf/httpd2.web.conf so that it says

<IfModule mod_perl.c>
        Alias /JavaScript/ /OME/JavaScript/
        Alias /images/ /OME/images/
        Alias /html/ /OME/html/

        PerlSetEnv PATH /usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin/:/sw/bin/
        <Directory /OME>
                Order deny,allow
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
</IfModule>

          * change /OME/conf/httpd2.omeis.conf so that it says

<IfModule mod_perl.c>
        ScriptAlias /perl2/ /OME/perl2/
</IfModule>

          * WATCH OUT! for some reason OME will overwrite your
          * /OME/conf/httpd2.web.conf scripts. I cannot verify when this
          * happens, but it seems random to me. Perhaps it is just
          * better to write all this stuff directly to
          * /etc/apache2/apache2.conf