[ome-users] Why is the original image data

Wood, Mike mwood at api.com
Tue Sep 13 18:16:15 BST 2005

I know in our case we require the original data.

Legacy systems which intend on integrating with OME do not understand
the OME XML file structure nor were they architected to extract their
pixel data from a server the way OME is structured.

Product software upgrades (such as ours) are beginning to use the new
OME form but still require the original data files for performing our
product features. Deconvolution is one such feature. Our Fortran code
was written to understand and process only Deltavision files.

We see several advantages in using the OME paradigm but companies
require time to transition over. I understand your concern over the
duplication of potentially very large data sets in the repository. I
personally would rather have seen OME implement the ability to extract
pixels from the original data that was sent to it instead of always
converting it to a common form. I see how it simplifies the design and
implementation but it comes at a cost. Will the cost be worth it...? I
think this one issue may be a deciding issue for some in their
acceptance of OME.

Mike