[ome-users] restarting ome server(s) - mac os x

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu May 26 20:23:25 BST 2005

Yup, it looks like a hung postgres.  Basically one of the transactions
hung while having a lock on an important table, so all the other
transactions piled up behind it.  Usually when that happens, a "polite"
shutdown won't do it since it waits for all the transactions to clear.
Generally, OME is designed so that transactions can be safely aborted
without resulting in an invalid state, so a "rude" shutdown is
generally OK.  But as you know, nothing is perfect...

On May 26, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Bob Marinelli wrote:
>> sudo /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL start
>
> Administrators-Computer:/Library/Perl/5.8.6/OME/Tasks bob$ sudo
> /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL start
> Starting PostgreSQL database server
> /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl: line 335: /usr/local/pgsql/logfile: Permission
> denied

This (possibly, maybe?) may have been the reason for the whole hang-up.
  The postgres user really needs to own everything postgres touches,
otherwise all hell breaks loose.

The good news is that if you just do the import again, everything
should be copacetic, and hopefully without even any duplicated images,
etc.

Before importing several thousand images with a fresh install, I would
try an import with a couple dozen, just to make sure all the parts are
there talking to each other nicely.  You know, sort of like breaking in
a new car.  Once its ok with a dozen or so, go ahead and throw a few
tens of thousands at it.

> Again, thanks very much,

No problem.  Gosh, a unix guy using a mac - that hardly ever happens.

> Bob

Ilya